Tuesday

Vente en Gros: Wholesale Shopping in Paris



Originally published:

There are a lot of things I like about Paris. Ooh la la!

I like that men wear scarves and that no matter how simply or casually a woman is dressed, she always throws something on and manages to look chic.

I like that no matter how chilly it is or how late in the evening, you will always find people outside at cafes having drinks and socializing.

I like that you can find clean public toilettes when needed.

I like that if you listen carefully you will hear many different accents and languages spoken.

I like that people speak French to me automatically and do not make me feel as if I do not belong.

I like that the artwork often depicts people of color.

I like that men aren’t afraid to kiss each other *peck peck* on the cheeks when saying hello or goodbye.

I like that the price of the outfit is in the store window.

I also like the fashion. Okay, wait. I love it.

Shopping in Paris makes my eyes get as big as saucers, my heart feels like it’s going to pop out of my chest and I have to catch my breath. It’s pure heaven. I’ve shopped on The Avenue des Champs-Élysées, in the Left Bank's Latin Quarter, both inside and outside of department stores like Printemps and Galeries Lafayette, at the boutiques and vintage shops in Le Marais, at Les Puces (aka the Paris Flea Market) at Clignancourt, and a bunch of places I just stumbled upon. Weird that I don’t dress up a lot. But when I do…

Anywho... in 2009, I shopped in Paris in a whole new way. You see, I own a small French-themed boutique and styling business and I thought it would be fun to bring a little Paris fashion to my customers. They weren’t mad at me either.

I started by going to my first buyers show during Paris Fashion Week called Premiere Classe at Jardin des Tulieries which isn’t far from high end retail shopping areas Place Vendôme and Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré…and more than a year later, I’m still horribly excited that I was there. *Pinching myself.* Basically, I just walked around with my mouth half open the whole time while looking like a dolt. So much for being cool.

When I tell you that there were rows and rows of extremely unique, chic and mesmerizing global fashion accessories and Prêt-à-Porter (ready to wear) under three grand tents, I am not exaggerating (see photo). In fact, I don’t even have the vocabulary to describe how I felt (besides the heart palpitations and all). And then I went across the street to the Westin for more of the same (Vera Wang had a suite!), but I just couldn’t stand it anymore. Got so overwhelmed, I left. In fact, I still laugh at that.

Premiere Classe was great, as most shows are, but sometimes the vendors can be snobby and sometimes I’m just not in the mood. Besides, I have no problem admitting that I really like walking the streets of wholesale districts. Los Angeles (my home), New York (wicked), and then of course, Paris. OMG. (Somebody call the doctor.)

So in 2009 and again in 2010, I got my shop on in Paris’ wholesale districts. So far, I have found two.

The most popular wholesale district is called Le Sentier, a section of Paris in the 2nd arrondissement that can be reached by Paris Métro at the Strasbourg-St.-Denis exit. Even though there is a street called Rue du Sentier, the area is merely named in this way and the actual main street for wholesale buyers is Rue d’Aboukir with side streets that splinter off into other little streets chock full of some mean, mean Paris duds. And while your credit card will most certainly work, cash is king and you might even be able to avoid the mandatory 19.75% VAT that is redeemable with a stamp at the airport (but you didn’t hear that from me). I could easily spend my entire store budget here.

Another wholesale district in Paris is called L'Onzieme or The Eleventh, a section of town near the Bastille. I found this area quite by accident while taking a walk one lucky day in 2009. Comprised of a number of streets that twist and turn and swirl (similar to Le Sentier), my favorite street to shop on in The Eleventh is Rue Sedaine. I’ve had quite a bit of luck there. My customers will vouch for that.

Le Sentier, although a bit more expensive, has much more to choose from with The Eleventh resembling a rack shopping experience: You have to look in a lot of stores before you find a gem. But they are definitely there.

As I type this entry, it is 7am and I’ve been back from Paris for just under 36 hours. I’m awake because my body hasn’t adjusted to the time yet; but also because I have a bit of anxiety about my French booty that is being held captive in the cargo hold in New York. Sigh.

You see, the Customs Officer at JFK held all of my wholesale goods and gave me a lecture telling me I was an importer and that I needed a customs broker. I won’t go on a rant about how it took 5 representatives and an hour and a half for them to give me several different bits of inaccurate information while trying to figure out how to fill out their own paperwork when they could’ve charged me the duty and let me go through with a warning. I could, but I’m not.

Instead, I’m going to wait to hear from my new customs broker, pray that my goods are safe, cross my fingers that my goods get here quickly, and remember the wonderful time I had shopping in Paris.

My problem is fixable, Paris is amazing…and at the end of the day, that’s all that really matters. Now, if I can only get to China…

No comments:

Post a Comment