Tuesday

OBG's Celebrity Passport Chronicles with Actress Lisa Raye McCoy



Originally Published:

Just like it’s hard to get a traveler to pinpoint his or her favorite destination (usually there is more than one favorite for more than one reason), it is equally as hard to get a television viewer to pinpoint his or her favorite television show. In the genre of Black female ensemble casts, I adored Girlfriends, used to crack up during Living Single, and I am now comparing my former single days in Los Angeles to the lives of three bachelorettes on VH1’s first hour-long television series, Single Ladies. #funstuff
So when I reached out to do a quickie travel interview with actresss LisaRaye McCoy, one of the stars of Single Ladies (in its second season), I was delighted when she said yes. Known best for her role as Diamond in The Players Club and as Neesee in the comedy series All of Us, LisaRaye - former First Lady of the Turks & Caicos Islands - is also the star of her own reality show The Real McCoy. Here’s what LisaRaye had to say about her favorite destinations and, of course, the value of her passport.


OBG: Where is your hometown?
LisaRaye: I am from Chicago or The Windy City. I love Chicago because you experience all of the seasons. The winter is quite beautiful when the snow covers Lake Michigan. There are wonderful restaurants, amazing nightlife, house music, great shopping downtown on the Magnificent Mile, and Navy Pier is great for summertime fun! In Chicago, there is a realness with our people that’s in between the “LA laidbackness” and the “New York hustle and bustle feel.” Plus, you can’t beat Chicago radio!

OBG: How old were you when you got your first passport?
LisaRaye: My parents got me my first passport when I was 12 years old because we went to The Bahamas for a family vacation.

OBG: So I take it that the Bahamas was where you got your first passport stamp?
LisaRaye: Yes, my first passport stamp was from The Bahamas.  It was the first time that I had ever seen water that color, and it was so clear that I could see the bottom of the ocean.

OBG: In which two countries did you get your last passport stamps?
LisaRaye: Italy and Mexico.
I went on a vacation to Italy for two and half weeks. I visited Rome for the Vatican, Milan for shopping, Naples for pizza, Florence for pasta, Venice for wine, and Lake Como and Capri for relaxation.
I love Mexican food along with Italian and I love the whole “villa feel.” I love the ocean and I’m looking to buy a home in Mexico. I love Manzanillo because it is not touristy.

OBG: What are your top three favorite destinations in the US and give me a word or two to describe why...
LisaRaye: Chicago because it's home; Miami because it’s caliente; and Los Angeles because it's Hollywood.

OBG: What are your top three favorite destinations outside of the US and give me a word or two to describe why...
LisaRaye: The Caribbean because it's serene; Manzanillo, Mexico because it's therapeutic; and Italy because it's filled with life.

OBG: Any closing thoughts?
LisaRaye: Travel is very important to culturalizing yourself. The power of traveling is a magnificent tool. It allows you to experience the history of different cultures and appreciate the various degrees of life. From fashion, nightlife, and food to religion, architecture, and landscapes, ultimately traveling brings value to your life. Instead of dreaming and seeing it on TV, travel for your own experience. This is the power that my passport has brought to my life.
OBG: Power to the passport!  *Fist pump*
***

Want to hear more from LisaRaye?  You can stay connected with her on both Facebook and Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment