Tuesday

A Bajan Yankee in Barbados (Part II of II)



Originally Published:

Did you find your favorite swimsuit yet?

Because I’m ready to give you more details about the beautiful island of Barbados and finish up Part I of A Bajan Yankee in Barbados. You’ll find the photos that accompany Part II by clicking here. Here we gooooo!

Hunte’s Garden
If you love flora and fauna, you must go to Hunte’s Garden! There are signs all over the island that point to this natural paradise in St. Joseph’s Parish, but don’t be shy about asking a local for directions as most Bajans are quite polite and always willing to help. When we arrived at Hunte’s, I didn’t really know what to expect, but boy oh boy, this fantasy garden did not disappoint.

Let me start by saying: Do not be fooled by the entrance. It looks…I dunno…regular. But once we got past the front gate, we were in for quite a treat. The flora and fauna are spectacular, the multi-level mini-gardens are a jaw-dropping surprise, and the owner (Anthony Hunte) is a mildly eccentric and fascinating horticulturist that not only has great stories and makes a mean rum punch, but his house (converted from an old horse stable) is the center of it all! I actually heard Anthony before I saw him as he was yelling at a man that was trying to steal a book out of his small souvenir shop. What drama!

Once he chased the thief away, his attention turned right back to his guests and he invited us upstairs for some chit chat and rum. There were several Brits enjoying the scenery when my mum, my husband and I followed Hunte upstairs. One woman I chatted with was an interesting British biographer named Mary S. Lovell who was on her annual Barbados holiday and who was gearing up for a US book tour. It was pretty neat to run into her and her crew a few times while on the island.

Aerial Trek Zipline Adventures
Looking for an adrenaline rush in the tropics? I was. In fact, on our way to Hunte’s Garden, we stopped at the site of Aerial Trek Zipline Adventures which isn’t too far off the path to Hunte’s. We stopped by because I wanted to find out if I could zipline with an injured arm. And while the super duper nice zipline guide told me I really only need one arm to get my thrill on, I opted to play it safe. Yet another excuse to go back. (As if…)

Sunbury Plantation House
Sunbury Plantation House in St. Philip Parish is over 300 years old and boasts some lovely mahogany furniture, a collection of interesting antiques and artifacts, a small gift shop, and a place to grab a bite to eat or drink. (My mom had a glass of mauby, definitely an acquired taste.) Open from 10am-5pm daily, I showed up with a great attitude and left feeling a little low. Click here to read a blog post that pretty much sums up my point of view. But don’t let my unexpected emotional response deter you from checking it out. Sunbury is a relatively interesting place worth the small cost of admission.

Oistins Friday Night Fish Fry
You cannot go to Barbados and not go to Oistins Fish Fry on a Friday night. You just can’t. Every local and tourist in Barbados (and their mama and papa and cousins) show up to this popular fish fry and Friday night party in Christ Church Parish for fish fresh out of the sea cooked any way you like it, local crafts and dancing. Be prepared for long lines and lots of folks though. And yes, it’s worth every lip-smacking minute.

Beautiful Bathsheba
Oh, Bathsheba. I love you so much.

Want to get a break from the ever-popular Gold Coast (or West Coast) of Barbados? On the more rugged east side of Barbados in St. Joseph Parish is where you’ll find Bathsheba, a small off-the-beaten-path community where you’ll find some of the most beautiful untouched beaches ever. One of those places you might want to go to get away from it all, you would NOT have to twist my arm to get me to check-in to The Atlantis Hotel, a beautifully charming home away from home at Tent Bay that boasts a wonderful restaurant known by both locals and tourists for its yummy Wednesday and Sunday buffets. The view from the restaurant (which is both inside and out) is what dreams are made of and the food was off the charts. I highly recommend that you take a drive to this side of the island and visit Bathsheba if you don’t decide to stay there. Oh how I love Bathsheba.

Alas, I am near my maximum word count again, and although I could go on and on about my love affair with Bim, I hope you have an idea of all that Barbados has to offer. See also Harrison’s Cave, Barbados Wildlife Reserve, and Orchid World.

Find that swimsuit yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment