Tuesday

Discovering Dolphins on Tortola



Originally Published:

I got completely turned out by dolphins in 2009 when I visited The Big Island of Hawai'i and participated in the dolphin encounter at the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Not turned out as in “Oh aren’t they cute?” But turned out as in “OMG. Can’t I just stay here and live with them forever!?!??” As a die-hard animal lover (except for reptiles, sorry), I was and continue to be fascinated by these almost human-natured mammals of the sea. (Confession: I wonder sometimes if I’m too old to become a dolphin trainer, but I don’t really think I want you to answer that.)

In 2010, when the ten Adventurers from my Spring travel camp – CampCaribe - took off for the United States Virgin Islands, my list of planned activities was endless: parasailing, swimming, sailing, snorkeling, jet-skiing, a day trip to Coral World, visiting sugar plantation ruins, etc. I was determined to get as many pictures as possible of my Brown Girl adventurers participating in water & beach activities because when I started looking for marketing photos for my Year One program, it was nearly impossible to find stock images that represented people of color in the water…and I didn’t like it. I know there is a lack of diversity in aquatics and, in particular, that there are myths floating around about Black people’s inability to swim, but come on...not one photo?!?!? (And I’m not talking about celebrity Brown Girls Salma Hayek or Beyonce either.) But hey, problem solved; I've got plenty of photos of Brown Girls on the waterfront now! #takingactionpaysoff

So here we are in the Spring of 2011, two years after my Hawaiian dolphin encounter, and one year after the debut of CampCaribe 2010, and not only do I have plenty of images, but I added a new activity to the CampCaribe repertoire that has and will become the highlight of all of my Spring camps to come; an activity that will create not only great photos, but lifetime memories as well: The dolphin encounter in the British Virgin Islands with Dolphin Discovery Tortola. What a delight!

Tortola (not to be confused with Tortilla *grin*), for those that don’t know, is the largest island in the British Virgin Islands and is an overseas territory of the United Kingdom with beautiful beaches, a year round average air temperature that hovers around the 80s, and an oasis for sailors. The most direct way to get there by air is via San Juan, Puerto Rico. (Side note: My husband and I are going bareboating in the BVIs in January 2012 and I already have our American Airlines tickets to San Juan. #psyched) Other than via San Juan, you can get there like the girls did, via ferry from the US Virgin Islands. Just don’t forget your passport!

On Friday, April 29, 2011, after seven days of camp activities, environmental engagement and learning, the eight Adventurers from CampCaribe 2011 (Anala, Nia, Nunu, Phaidra, Ruby, Ruth, Summre & Taylor) along with my senior staff member & lifeguard Alley took the 30 minute ferry ride from Cruz Bay (St. John, USVI) to Tortola to finally swim with the dolphins. (Note: I got sick and couldn’t go, my other staff/lifeguard Mary wasn’t able to get her passport in time, and my husband went along to negotiate taxi fare and take photos.)

Even prior to camp, all of the girls were excited and according to one mom, “Summre couldn’t WAIT to swim with the dolphins!” so you can well imagine the high energy on the short 10-15 minute jitney ride from the port in Tortola to Dolphin Discovery. Once they arrived, the girls got to check out some cool resident birds, they got changed, got sized up for their life jackets, and were seated in a theatre-style setting for an orientation which included a short information film. (Did you know the gestation period for a dolphin is one year and that when dolphins sleep, half of their brain is asleep and half is awake? Cool.)

According to my staff, after the traditional learning opportunity, off into the water they went for some experiential fun! They participated in The Royal Swim, which consisted of a dolphin dorsal tow, a dolphin foot push, a dolphin kiss, a dolphin handshake & free time with these delightful sea creatures. As you can see by the photos (click here) and the smiles on the girls’ faces, it was a magical day for everyone. At the end of being pushed across the water by two dolphins, Adventurer Nia spontaneously and unconsciously blurted out “Now I know happiness.” (I feel you, Nia.)

After the dolphin extravaganza in the water, the girls got changed and made their way to an area where they were able to view television monitors with photos and video available for purchase. Afterwards, they visited the gift store which of course was chock full of dolphin paraphernalia. (Whispering: What they didn’t know is that I bought each one of them a beautiful ceramic dolphin curio as a keepsake of that magical day. I sent them out as a surprise after they got back from camp. *Grin*)

To fill up the day while in the BVIs (might as well, right?), I originally scheduled a trip to Virgin Gorda after the dolphin encounter, but it was a holiday so the ferries weren’t running on schedule. (Can you say Royal Wedding?) Virgin Gorda is the third largest island in the BVI chain, is eight and a half miles long, and is home to The Baths, one of the most beautiful rock formations jutting out of the sea I have ever seen. Instead, the girls were able to tour Tortola by passenger van, had lunch at the popular Pusser’s, hung out on the roof of Skyworld Restaurant (where you can get a 360 degree panoramic view of the island), and ate local ice cream while lounging on the beach at Cane Garden Bay, one of the most beautiful beaches on Tortola.

CampCaribe 2012 will mark the third anniversary of my Spring travel camp program (with a 100% safety record!) and I can’t help but wish that every girl (young, old or in-between) could experience not just my program, but the pure joy that comes from swimming with dolphins; not just in Tortola, but anywhere in the world. What magical creatures. What a magical experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment